Day 1: Cusco – Tauca – Huchuy Qosqo – Ollantaytambo – Aguas Calientes
At 6am, we will start driving from your hotel to the small Village of Tauca (3750m), the beginning of your trek. We will be on level terrain and the landscape will be that of typical andean valleys rich in corn, potatoes, barley, quinoa and other andean tubers. As you ascend towards your pass at 4050m, the landscape begins to change dramatically to the classic of High Andean Savannah or Puna, with scant vegetation, mainly “ichu” or high altitude grass. The views of the Vilcabamba Mountain Range peaks are spectacular: Veronica, Pitusiray, Chicon and San Juan snow peaks. Soon after the pass you will start your descent toward the Huchuy Qosqo plains hiking along a path that leads to the Cauca ravine, where you will be able to see archeological remains and wild crops, such as tarwi, and a large quantity of cactus.
You will walk downhill towards the Leon Punku ravine, where you will find remains of an Inca bridge and trail. This canyon boasts geological formations surrounded by majestic rocks and boulders that direct the river to Huchuy Qosqo at 3650 m. Huchuy Qosqo (“Little Cuzco”) is a noteworthy Inca complex. It boasts very fine stonework in a large Kallanka (rectangular Hall), some residential and defensive quarters and interesting two-story buildings in stone and adobe. Huchuy Qosqo is located on a plateau, surrounded by Inca agricultural terraces and allows superb views of the Vilcabamba range. Afterwards we’ll go downhill to Lamay at 2900m where we will catch our transport driving to Ollantaytambo the place where we’ll continue by train to Aguas Calientes. Then overnight in a hotel.
- Meals: Lunch & Dinner.
- Hiking time: 7 hours.
- Accomodation: Hotel “El Presidente” or “Machu Picchu” (It can be upgraded).
Day 2: Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu – Cusco
We leave our hotel after a very early breakfast to take the bus for the journey up to Machu Picchu ruins. Once inside the citadel, we are provided with a 3 hour tour with plenty of free time for further exploring, taking photos and the option to climb >Huayna Picchu or go up to the Sun Gate. Then back to Aguas Calientes and approximately at 2:55pm or 4:00pm, we take our return train to Ollantaytambo with a bus connection to Cusco arriving at your hotel in the evening.
- Meal: Breakfast.
- Entrance tickets: Machu Picchu, Huayna Picchu, Sun gate.
End of our Services
Huchuy Qosqo Trek to Machu Picchu 2 days INCLUDES :
- Private transportation from and to your hotel.
- All meals as indicated in the itinerary.
- Professional bilingual guide (Spanish and English).
- Entrance fee to Huchuy Qosqo.
- Entrance fee to Machu Picchu.
- Bus from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu.
- Hotel in Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu, Continental or similar).
- First-aid including emergency oxygen bottle.
- Huayna Picchu ticket – US$35.
Huchuy Qosqo Trek to Machu Picchu 2 days NOT INCLUDES :
- Any meal not specified.
- 1 way bus ticket from Machu Picchu to Aguas Calientes It can be hiked.
- Optional tips for the staff.